Anahata: The Heart Chakra
The fourth chakra bridges the gap between our earthly and spiritual selves. It acts as the connections between our spiritual aspirations and our physical form. It is located in the center of the chest and is associated with the color green. Anahata not only relates to our heart cent, but it also refers to our back through the spine and between the shoulder blades.
This chakra connects the lower and upper chakras. Although our physical selves and our spiritual wellbeing may seem separate, the experience of our heart chakra integrates them harmoniously. To live from the heart means to see clearly from all perspectives no matter how challenging it is. Anahata is all about connection, relation, and harmony, not just in romance, but going beyond the desires and limitations of the ego into a realm of compassion and understanding for all beings. The feeling is similar to the end of a good yoga class when your mind, body, and spirit feel aligned, and you no longer care that your yoga pants are old and your mat is worn.
When the heart chakra is balanced, you will feel loving, warm, open and compassionate. You will be able to breathe clearly and deeply and in turn, successfully use the breath to increase focus and body awareness. Anahata is the focal point of your deep bonds with other beings. It is the channel of warmth and joy that comes through us and is reflected back to us in our relationships with others. When those around us can feel our love and compassion, they relay it back to us, making us feel at peace and free from judgment.
The chakra can become out of balance as a result of extremely emotional life experiences, changes in the environment or physical illness. For example, a loss of love or life can result in a fear of intimacy. It is due to a blockage in the heart chakra. Working to reopen Anahata after a significant emotional event will open up a powerful healing force within you. In fact, through many cultures and religions, love is recognized as the ultimate energy for healing.
Symptoms Of Imbalance In The Heart Chakra
- Being overly defensive
- Fear of intimacy
- Being reclusive
- Holding grudges
- Relying on approval and attention to feel happy
- Physical heart-related issues
- Problems with the respiratory system
How To Balance The Heart Chakra
- Affirmation – Love is the answer. I have an infinite capacity to love, which I give freely and openly accept from others.
- Aromatherapy – Ylang-Ylang, Jasmine, Lavender, Rosemary, Frankincense, and Sandalwood
- Crystals – Jade, emerald, Green Aventurine, Rose Quartz, and Green Tourmaline
- Nature – Since the color associated with the heart chakra is green, it makes sense to surround yourself with it! Go outside and take a walk through somewhere with lots of nature.
- Pranayama – Pranayama literally means control of energy. We practice pranayama by learning to control our breath. The lungs and respiratory systems are directly linked to the heart chakra. Taking some time to sit quietly and count the length of your inhales and exhales can help to open and balance Anahata.
- Nutrition – Green vegetables are essential for the health of the heart chakra. Consume more kale, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, and celery. Green and herbal tea, as well as spices such as sage, basil, parsley, and thyme also nourish Anahata.